Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2019
Time: 9:00 - 17:00
The China Development Institute and Z/Yen Group are holding a major conference in London on 1 May 2019, followed by a conference dinner.
The conference, “Belt, Road & Bridge: Creating New China-Europe Connections” will:
- •Explore current developments in finance and trade of interest to both China and Europe;
- •Identify opportunities for increased economic co-operation between businesses and municipal governments in China and Europe;
- •Provide opportunities for connecting senior finance and trade professionals from China and Europe.
Speakers will be drawn from both China and Europe to provide a focus on the points of common interest and divergence facing us in 2019.
Who is the Conference For?
The conference is aimed at senior executives working in finance and trade with a wish to:
- •Deepen their understanding of how China and Europe will continue to strengthen their economic and trade relationships; and
- •Build and strengthen relationships with overseas colleagues.
1 May 2019
09:00 Welcome Address:
- •Objectives for the day
- •Co-operation between London and China.
09:30 Session 1: The New Silk Road – Economic Prospects for Trade Between China and Europe
Alderman Professor Michael Mainelli, Executive Chairman, Z/Yen Group
Professor Fan Gang, President, China Development Institute
Professor Kerry Brown, Professor of Chinese Studies and Director of the Lau China Institute at King's College, London
- •Current trends and initiatives
- •Opportunities and threats relating to joint trade
- •Growing and deepening co-operation in finance and trade
10:30 Panel discussion 1
10:45 Refreshments and Networking
11:15 Session 2: Growing the Digital Economy: The Fourth Industrial Revolution and FinTech
Professor Dr Alexander Van de Putte, Chairman, AIFC Academic Council & Chief Strategy Officer, AIFC Governor's Council
Xu Jianguo, Senior Research Fellow of Digital Finance, Associate Professor of National School of Development, Peking University
- •Current trends and initiatives
- •The impact of smart technology on finance
- •Regulation and policy
12:15 Panel discussion 2
12:30 Lunch and Networking
13:30 Measuring Financial Centre Success: Alderman Professor Michael Mainelli, Executive Chairman, Z/Yen Group
13:45 Session 3: Sustainable Futures: Mainstreaming Green Finance
Wang Yao, Director General, International Institute of Green Finance, CUFE
Simon Zadek, Co-Director of the UNEP Inquiry into the Design of a Sustainable Financial System
- •Opportunities for mainstreaming green finance
- •Drivers and policy instruments
- •Innovation in green finance
14:45 Panel Discussion 3
15:00 Refreshments and Networking
15:30 Session 4: Light on Our Feet: Removing Regulatory Barriers
John Adams, Director, HR China, Financial Training and Recruitment
Dong Yan, Director of Trade Department, Institute of World Economics & Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Science
Sir Mark Boleat, former Chairman of Policy & Resources, City of London Corporation
- •Current developments in the regulation of finance and trade
- •Challenges and solutions
- •Balancing risk and reward
16:30 Panel Discussion 4
16:45 Closing Remarks
The conference will be followed by a dinner on the evening of 1 May, with guest speaker The Rt Hon Mark Field MP, Minister of State for Asia and the Pacific at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.